At-Bristol runs a series of popular Home Educators' Days, full of interactive science activities, workshops and shows exclusively for home educating families!
Wednesday 24 July 2013: Our changing planet
At-Bristol is delighted to host exciting activities from the International Polar Foundation, exclusively for Home Educating families. Specially-designed exhibits, artefacts and experiments will open up the fascinating world of the Polar Regions, the way climate change is affecting them and the impact this may have on the rest of our planet.
Alongside this exciting opportunity, we are developing challenging exhibit trails for every family to use to make the most of At-Bristol's exhibition. We are also offering further activities tailored to your child's age, including:
Children aged 5-7 years old will enjoy interactive scientific storytelling, full of experiments and opportunities to explore incredible artefacts from the coldest places on the planet.
Children aged 8-11 years old can get hands-on with a range of exciting water and ice experiments in our laboratories from creating clouds from dry-ice to watching raindrops in slow motion.
Children aged 12+ will take part in an exclusive Planetarium show showcasing incredible footage of our changing planet from Space before the opportunity to hear from experts from the Bristol Glaciology Centre in an exclusive presentation and Q&A session!
A full schedule of planned activities will appear here in July.
- Advance booking required. All bookings will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis with early bookings advised.
- Each day runs from 10:30am -2.30pm. We ask families to start arriving from 10am to allow for a prompt beginning to the day, and everyone is welcome to continue exploring At-Bristol after this time until we close at 5.00pm.
- Cost: £11 per child, payable when booking. This is non-refundable and non-transferable. The cost includes admission to At-Bristol's exhibitions.
- Each paying child is entitled to bring a free accompanying adult. Additional adults or children not participating in the activities are required to pay normal admission charges.
- Activities are designed for children aged 5 - 15. Children require parental supervision at all times - we recognise this may require you bringing more than one adult if you have children in different age groups.
- Please be aware that children under 8 are not allowed in our laboratories due to Health and Safety reasons.
Please telephone to book: 0845 345 3344.
9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday except Bank Holidays
Meanwhile, don't forget that home educators are eligible for our Education rates when visiting At-Bristol's exhibitions: £4.75 per child, £4.75 per accompanying adult
Education rates are available weekdays in Bristol schools' term-time, 10am to 5pm (last entry at 4.30pm).
Proof of eligibility for these special rates is required (letter from LEA, relevant membership certificates). Home educators without such valid forms of eligibility must contact At-Bristol in advance of your visit to speak with a Duty Manager.
"The amount of information and variety in such a short time is virtually impossible to recreate at home"
"It was fun, educational and it was nice to chat to other home educators"
"The day allowed reinforcement of ideas I teach at home with examples I could not recreate"
To be kept informed of upcoming events, why not join our Home Educator Mailing List?
Whales talk to each other by making a loud clicking noise. The sound waves travel extremely well underwater so they can hear each other from 100 miles away